Tuesday, December 6, 2011

What to Do When You Find Yourself Making Excuses Not to Exercise

"Excuses are for losers. Winners find a way to press past the pain and manifest the Reign!" - Shelita Williams, Motivational Speaker and author of How to Reign in Life.

If you've been making excuses for not exercising, know that you're not alone. Even though I'm on an active quest to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle, I sometimes allow myself to get in a rut. Then, I make lots of excuses for being sedentary.  I felt convicted today though, when I looked at the last page of the 2011 wall calendar provided courtesy of my health insurer (and former employer), HAP.  Each month has tips for people "my age" and above on how to stay healthy.  As a bonus, they also included a January 2012 calendar and the following are tips they offer for combating Couch Potato-itis:

"I'm Too Busy" Write down time to exercise in your daily calendar.  Send yourself an e-mail or a voice message reminding you to take an activity break every day.

"It Bores Me" Choose several activities you enjoy and alternate them on different days.  walking, stationary bikes, swimming, dancing, skating, snowshoeing, weight lifting, aerobics classes.

"I'm Too Tired" You'll have more energy if you get regular activity.


"It's Expensive" Outside of the cost of a good pair of shoes, walking and jogging are free.

"I'm Too Old" No matter what your age, activity will help control your weight and improve balance, mobility and flexibility.  If you've been a jogger most of your life, you may need to start walking.  Switch from aerobics classes to yoga or tai chi.  Play doubles tennis instead of singles.

"It's Too Dark, Too Cold, Too Hot" That's why they make gyms and indoor shopping malls for walking.

"I'm So Far Out of Shape It's Hopeless"  Take a class for people who have weight or fitness issues.

SOURCE: Health Alliance Plan of Michigan  LiveWell Mid-Life Calendar Tips

*Always consult your physician before starting any fitness programs. 

1 comment:

  1. This is great. I need to print and paste to the bathroom mirror.

    ReplyDelete