Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Note to Self: Don't Let Your Age Stop You From Fulfilling Your Dreams

Transparent moment: Now that I'm S-L-O-W-L-Y approaching the back end of my 50s, I have several regrets about things I did or didn't do years ago.

I don't want this post to be construed as a pity party though. The reason I am sharing my regrets with you is because of the wonderful words of encouragement that leaped off the pages of the Bible this morning.  I chose to read from the first chapter of Luke today.Without trying to teach a Bible lesson, I'll just recap by saying the first chapter of Luke talks about the conception and birth of John the Baptist. What I found significant was the fact that, like Abraham and Sarah, John's parents were past what would be considered the prime age to conceive, bare and raise a child. Nevertheless God saw fit to "make it happen." He sent Zechariah a message via the angel Gabriel but because of his advanced years, the elderly man scoffed at the notion and dismissed it as being too late. Nevertheless Gabriel attempted to reassure the future patriarch. "But the angel said to him: “Do not be afraid, Zechariah; your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you are to call him John.  He will be a joy and delight to you, and many will rejoice because of his birth." Luke 1:13-14 




Zechariah had such a hard time believing God for this miracle that the Lord caused him to become a mute and wouldn't allow him to speak until the child was born. This reminded me that it unbelief is a punishable sin. But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. Hebrews 11:6 

Like Zechariah, there are things I've longed to do, to be and to possess but for various reasons it just hasn't happened. Unfortunately a lot of it is because I didn't really try - and the older I get the less like it seemed that I will ever see fulfillment of many of secret aspirations. I'll admit that I know better. My grandmother was a great example of a person who didn't allow her age to define her. She might not have been formally educated, wealthy or famous but she left a great legacy. Those who remember her often speak of her kindness and generosity but also the fact that she loved to dance. Nana used to say to me that if you sit around you'll rust out. Even though she was a marvelous cook, she continued to take cake decorating classes, and liked to experiment with new recipes. When the Food Network came about, she stayed glued the to Emeril Lagasse and Paula Dean shows - even after she passed the mantel of cooking for the family along to me. The lesson I learned from her (but apparently allowed myself to forget) was to never give up. Her age is now being disputed among family members, but according to the U.S. Census of 1910, she was 96 years old when she left this life. She remained in good health (including playing games and dancing with MY grandchildren) and of sound mind until approximately six months prior to her "sunset."

"Nana"

Now back to the analogy from today's scripture: Being past the flower of her age so to speak, Elizabeth could have simply faced her old age with a sense of failure. But her faith and vibrancy serves as a reminder that God watches over all of His children (even me) with loving care. Elizabeth trusted and God rewarded her. Upon discovering that she was had indeed conceived, Elizabeth kept herself hidden until for five months. However, she played hostess to, and no doubt mentored, her younger cousin Mary. Many historians agree that Mary was approximately 16 years old at the time of the Immaculate Conception. She also had to come to terms with what the rest of us would have considered impossible - to become the mother of the Savior of the world! Yet she carried out her assignment gracefully and full of faith.  Elizabeth understood the magnitude of her young Mentee's holy assignment as she proclaimed,  "Blessed is she who believed, for there will be a fulfillment of those things which were things which were told her from the Lord."

The message that resonates in my mind from reading Luke today is that,

  • God has planted a set of desires within me and that I put the limitations on myself not Him. 
  • If I am to live a life that pleases God, I have to seek him diligently to find out how he wants to equip and empower me to fulfill my destiny. 
  • Elizabeth kept her anticipated blessing "close to the vest" and only shared with a very close circle, in order not to be distracted by naysayers and short-sighted haters I have to do the same, regardless of how ridiculous my goals seem.
  • When I complete the assignments God has given me, not only will I have a sense of accomplishment, but others will joyfully benefit as well.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful message, Venus! God bless you today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Venus! Because of what things "look like' right now...I am sitting here with tears in my eyes. Thank you for confirmation.

    ReplyDelete