Thursday, January 10, 2013

31 Habits of a JoyFULL Wife, Habit Number 10 - Dare to Dream and Beyond

Take the plunge!
Do you have a deep seated desire to do something that you've never tried - or never openly explored? Have you always, for example, wanted to paint a portrait, write a stage play or cook a gourmet meal but never tried? You should. Tomorrow isn't promised to any of us regardless of how young or old; or even the great results of the most recent physical examination.

I have a personal goal to die empty. I've heard it said that there are countless unfulfilled dreams lying in the graveyard. I don't plan for mine to be among them.


Don't be afraid to explore. Give it a shot, what's the worse thing that can happen? Stretch beyond what you know, who you currently in your inner circle. Learn a new skill, meet some new people, go to a place you've never been before, do something you've never done before. S-T-R-E-T-C-H

Here are only some of the things I  hope to accomplish.  This list below is not definitive, nor is it  a set of goals. A goal is well defined; has a deadline, a strategic plan of action and a system for tracking. What you see below is basically a wish list. The next step is to transition these wishes into goals.

  1. Learn to speak French fluently (I was pretty good in high school)
  2. Sharpen my math skills 
  3. Learn how to operate my fancy camera
  4. Run a marathon
  5. Skydive
  6. Write a mystery series, a hit stage play and at least 2 marriage manuals
  7. See a play on Broadway
  8. Travel, travel and more travel
  9. Host a writer's retreat at a luxurious venue
  10. Earn an award
 At this point you might be curious to know what I actually plan to do now that I've identified a wish list. Well, there are a couple of things that are more to the forefront than others.  I'll share.

Number one is travel. There are two trips in particular that I want to take. The first is actually around the corner. I'd like for Rick and I to celebrate our 28th wedding anniversary (which is April 3rd) on either a Caribbean cruise or at an all inclusive resort so I'm going to contract my travel agent and arrange the trip. Maybe I'll go skydiving then!

Another is earn an award.  To date (and to my knowledge) my novel has never been nominated for any literary awards. I've never paid much attention to the hows and whys of literary awards, but there are hundreds out there.  I learned years ago that it's perfectly fine for authors to nominate themselves and until recently I still thought that to be a bit self-promoting. Um, well it is but so-what?  So I will be exploring various awards and nominating my book or myself as author of the year.

I wrote a marriage book a few years ago but never really felt it was ready to release to the public and didn't know what it was missing. Now I know and will be giving it a complete overhaul including the cover and possibly the title. And I'm proud to announce that the light bulb finally came on for my husband and he wants to co-author a book with me.

So that's part of what has been floating around in my head. How about you? What are some of your latent aspirations? Tell us about them. It's amazing how much closer you come to realizing a dream once you begin talking about it. By the way, if someone doubt you - who cares? When you accomplish it, the overwhelming feeling of accomplishment will bring you joy.

 Don't let your age deter your dream

Disclaimer:  I am not in any way endorsing that you do anything that is immoral, illegal or considered dangerous by public opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment